Filling in the ‘loch’.

The ‘loch’ in question was the nickname for a shallow basin in the carriageway that regularly filled up with water due to rain. The water was always murky as it mixed with soil and had a very muddy bottom. Some of the visiting dogs liked it but the owners weren’t so keen when they saw their pets emerge covered in muddy water! One dog in particular springs to mind – a young golden retriever that had a pristine coat just before it had a brief mud bath in this pond. Afterwards, only the top of its head and top of its back were still blonde but the rest was a dark shade of brown! The dog’s owner was not available for comment.

The pool had been slowly growing in width over the years to the point where people were only just able to pass on one side. We thought it was time to re-establish the carriageway so that visitors could once again use it. A narrow trench was dug to provide a channel along which the water could drain away down the slope. Once almost completely drained, much mud was shovelled out. We had obtained a couple of tons of roof slate which was placed into the basin barrowload by barrowload from its location at the main gate. That task was almost complete when a 3-man crew from The City of Edinburgh Council stepped in to help us finish the job. They carried down the remaining slate on the front shovel of their digger machine then put some recycled road planings, which they had brought in on a truck for this purpose, on top then levelled it off with the mechanical shovel. You can see the results as well as ‘before’ and work in progress shots below. Click on an image to view a larger version. This will open in a new browser tab or window.


Restoring a ‘lost’ stone to its rightful position.

June 29th to July 2nd, 2019. Recovering a memorial stone that hadn’t seen the light of day in decades.

It was covered in a mass of roots and earth, built up over the years. It’s the base of a cross, dedicated to Elizabeth Grace, the infant daughter of Lieutenant F.A. Stewart of the West India Regiment.

It’s the base for a cross, but we haven’t yet located that piece. The base was buried beneath soil and roots that had built up over the intervening years. It was excavated very carefully and given a brief wash using plain water and a gentle brush.

It was discovered on the Saturday. On the Monday, thanks to Mortonhall, we found out where it SHOULD be. It was back in its rightful position the very next day.

Here are some photos of the discovery, excavation and replacement…
(Click on an image to get a larger view. Opens in a new tab/window.)


Little Elizabeth Grace had been born at 14 Hope Street at 7.20am on 4 November 1872, the second child of Lieutenant Francis Archibald Stewart of the 1st West India Regiment and his wife Grace Jane Malloch, who’d married on 10 November 1870 in Canada. The family wasn’t long in Edinburgh, being unrecorded here in 1871 and 1875. Towards the end of the century, they were in Jersey. Hence this infant is the sole occupant of the grave. Elizabeth Grace died at 7am on 3 February 1873 at the same address of 14 Hope Street, aged 5 months. She’d suffered from Tubercular Meningitis for 5 days and Convulsions for 3 days.

She was attended by a nearby physician, Dr Angus Macdonald, across the street at no. 29 Charlotte Square. When he died in 1886 after being unwell for a few years (then buried in Grange), his death was certified by his neighbour, Dr Claud Muirhead of 30 Charlotte Square. One of Dr Macdonald’s positions was Lecturer in Midwifery and Diseases of Women, so may well have known (or at least known the teachings of) our most famous resident, Sir James Young Simpson. Dr Muirhead died in 1910 and is interred in Warriston’s Section K, quite close to Sir James Young Simpson.

Elizabeth Grace’s older brother, Archibald Francis Stewart, born 12 September 1871 in Jamaica, followed his father into the Army, firstly with the Durham Light Infantry. He spent most of his career in India, finally becoming Lieutenant-Colonel. He retired in September 1922.

N.B. Please note that we lack the equipment and training to re-site larger stones.

Guided Tour of Warriston Cemetery. May 2019.

Guided Tour

Warriston Cemetery

Thursday 16th May 2019 at 2pm

£5 per person.

Meet by the notice-board at the main gate.

Please book through

For other participating cemeteries, eg Dean, Morningside, Necropolis and Southern Necropolis (Glasgow), see

National Cemeteries Week, 11 – 19 May 2019

and Dying Matters Awareness Week 2019

This week you will see how Cemetery Friends throughout the UK are involved in keeping cemeteries tidy and safe whilst conserving and managing the natural features, restoring significant buildings and monuments and encouraging the appreciation of cemeteries.



January 2019 Round-up.

Various days in January 2019.

Clicking on most images will reveal a larger version. Opens in a new tab/window.

January 12th…

Section F, now looking more as it ought to. In the older part of the cemetery, this is one of the very few open spaces where birds have room to swoop about to catch insects. We plan to leave the bramble “plantation” in the background and to remove some of the ground ivy in the foreground, then replace that with long grass and wildflowers. We’ve planted shrubs behind that large monument. This will vary the biodiversity, and look more attractive to those coming in by the unofficial entrance at the East Gate. And sooner or later the Council will dispose of our piles of debris!


January 19th…

Section F is looking better and better. A few more brambles cut (aside from those we’re leaving in place), a lot of raking out, and we’re getting there. Behind that large monument to David Ramsay Hay there were so many brambles that we couldn’t get at the Himalayan Balsam! Now we see bulb shoots we’d never been able to see before and we’ve planted some shrubs. But it seems that we missed a stick.


We knew that during the week the Council crew had been in to shift some of our piles of debris and to burn others. It’s a very labour-intensive task, takes ages, and the Council is chronically understaffed. So we were VERY happy to see the difference today!


January 31st…

A new notice has appeared. Excellent H&S advice!